This Persuasive Copywriting and Content Development is a radio interview presentation between Paul Nwokedi and Michael Oguntumeyi; at Jordan 105.5 FM, Lagos. We looked at the different between copywriting, content development and content marketing?
What is Content Development?
Content Development, otherwise known as Web Content Development is the process of researching, writing, organizing, designing and editing information for publication on websites.
In fact, content development is the process of creating contents for a website from start to finish. With the goals to either build a connection with an audience or to encourage marketing or sales outcomes.
- Blog Posts.
- Case Studies.
- White Papers.
- Downloadable Checklists.
Thus, in digital marketing, Content Development is the process of implementing a well planned Content Marketing Strategy.
What is Copywriting?
Copy-writing is the act of writing text content for the purpose of marketing or advertising a product or service. It is the occupation of writing the words or copy used in marketing and promotional materials; like on web pages, email templates, digital/print ads, and other promotional materials.
Copywriting is the best course to learn how to communicate in the internet and other customer touch points or advertising channels. Without copy, customers may not have clear idea of how your perfect solution or great product can help solve their problems and how they can get it.
For Clarity, What is “Copy” in Marketing?
In the world of marketing, copy” doesn’t mean to duplicate. No! Copy refers to the product of writers, that is; the text that fills your landing pages and your advertising scripts or flyers.
All companies need copy to explain their businesses or products, services or offers to prospective customers. A Copy is therefore a piece of creative write-up that is carefully written to persuade the general public or the target audience to try a product, make a purchase, and sign up for a newsletter or upcoming event.
In addition, a product copy, product description or sales copy is that written content that is aimed to increase brand awareness and persuade a person or group of buyers to take a particular action; such as pick-up the phone and call you, send you a business email, register an account, purchase your products or order for services.
So in general,
Persuasive Copywriting and Content Development cover wide variety of creative writing and design services, such as:
- Designing Advertising Materials
- Designing Corporate Websites
- Designing Emails newsletters
- Writing Interesting Blog Posts and Press Releases
- Designing Beautiful Landing pages
- Creating Company Brochures Designs
- Preparing Events/Business Presentations
- Writing Video scripts/Video Creation
- Writing Provocative Page Headlines
- Writing Good Products Descriptions
- Creating Lead Magnets and Freebies
- Writing Long-form White Papers
What are the 8 Important Things Copywriters or Content Developers Do?
- A good copywriter gives your designs meaning and lays the foundation for your content marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and display advertising strategies.
- Good content developers have wide products knowledge and can easily carry out industry search in order to have full understanding of the product they’re writing about.
- Experienced copywriters would conduct audience research and customer analysis to learn about their common pain points and how your product can be a solution that addresses the problems.
- Good copywriters don’t get discouraged during the writing process. They try to edit, review and fine-tune their work in order to get feedback from peers, other editors, the customers and clients.
- Good content developers understand that less is more. They are driven by the smart business goals; which are to increase your brand awareness, drive more traffic and convert site visitors into paying customers.
- Expert copywriters give a voice to your brand. They create effective art works, ads piece or websites that send their clients out from other competitors in the same industry.
- They understand the use of English. A professional copywriter needs to be a good writer with sound knowledge of how to construct good English Language without grammatical errors and misspellings.
- They are good Storytellers. A good copywriter has the vocabulary to connect with an audience and the knowledge of good sentence structure to lead a reader through an article or ad piece.
The 3 Types of Copywriting/Content Development Jobs
If you want to tap into all that copywriting demand, there are three main ways to do it:
- Work as a staff copywriter or content developer at an company
- Work as a copywriter for an in-house marketing team
- Become a freelance copywriter and work on upwork, workglobal or fiverr
Top Copywriting and Content Marketing Tools to Consider
- HubSpot Blog Ideas Generator and CRM.
- CoSchedule Headline Analyzer.
- Grammarly- evaluates your content automatically for spelling and grammar, readability, conciseness, vocabulary, and even checks for plagiarism to help you avoid duplicate content issues.
In Summary, Is ‘Copywriting’ the same as ‘Content Marketing’?
Good copywriting is essential to building out your website and creating valuable landing pages that inform and educate your prospective customers. Nevertheless, it’s not the same thing as Content Marketing.
Content marketing is the act of informing and educating your online audience or consumers using content delivery channels such as blog posts, white papers, eBooks, case studies, checklists, infographics and informative videos that are published on your website.
These assets are created for the purpose of compelling or appealing to the emotions of the readers or visitors; but not necessarily persuasive or salsy in nature. If, after a prospective customer reads a blog post or watches a how-to video on your website, he/she can decides whether to try the company’s product or services, that’s also better.
Therefore, the point of content marketing is not creating immediate sales; that’s just a secondary goal. Its leading intention is to educate and inform the consumers.
While Copywriting, on the other hand, has one primary goal, which is to sell something.
How Does Copywriting and Content Marketing Fit into the Overall Marketing Landscape?
So, if copywriting and content marketing are so different, how do they fit into the online marketing program?
The two concepts rely upon each other to be truly effective. Copywriting can be convincing, yes, but no one wants to be sold to constantly. People need a break from the constant urging to “Sign Up Today!” Contact us now or “Make a Purchase Now!”
Today’s customers are smarter and more informed than they have been in the past. They want to be able to make up their minds on their own to subscribe, purchase or do anything else on your website. That is where content marketing comes in.
Content marketing helps customers come to their own conclusions after consuming informative and truthful articles and/or blog posts. It helps them develop their knowledge base about whatever product or service they’re shopping for. It also helps to position your company as an expert in that market and build trust between your brand and your customers.
But businesses can’t survive on trust and goodwill alone. In the end, you need to make a sale, and good copywriting services help you to drive customers in the right directions.